Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thrift score, vol. 1

So, one of the weird things about Dayton is that it has pretty amazing thrift stores, many of which are really close together, so you can make quite an afternoon there. When we moved to Pittsburgh, we were a little disappointed in the thrifting potential here - perhaps it's not that bad, and maybe we're just spoiled - but whenever we go back to Dayton, we always make a point to go thrifting. These days we have So. Much. Stuff. (no, seriously, it's ridiculous) so we try to be a bit more discerning in what we buy, but we still generally come away with some good stuff. Here's what we got in Dayton last weekend:

  
This awesome deer wallet that Eric has claimed. I'm kind of jealous, because it's pretty rad, and looked completely un-used. There was still a little card inside for you to write all of your "indentification information." 


Books, always books. Remember what I said about having a bunch of stuff? Like 75% of that is books. This time we picked up:
- The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry - I work with kids and teens so I'm always on the look out for possibly interesting young adult lit.
- The US Army Survival Manual - Always got to be prepared, right?
- The Underbark by Max Ellison - A book of poems, signed by the author.
- The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood - This is the sequel to Oryx and Crake, which is probably my favorite Margaret Atwood book, and although it sadly isn't as good as Oryx and Crake, it's still nice to have a copy.
- A trade of the comic series Preacher, written by Garth Ennis with art by Steve Pugh, Carlos Ezquerra, and Richard Case.
- 100 Best Recipes: Vegetarian by Linda Doeser. I haven't made anything out of here yet, but some of the recipes look pretty okay.
Eric picked up some ties with these prints. Can we talk about how much I love the umbrella one? I wish I had a skirt like that, because it is seriously amazing. And then when I thought it couldn't get any better, I turned it over and saw:


What? "Chippmunk Creations"? And there's a tiny little embroidered chipmunk? Oh my goodness, this is too much.


And finally, I got this dress, this belt, and these tights. Maybe not to be worn all at the same time, but I don't know. I have a hard time treading that fine line between "maybe this is an interesting and kitchy outfit" and "maybe this is actually just terrible." I'm still not even entirely sure how I feel about the dress color. What do you think?

5 comments:

Damandanapology said...

Erica, I love the color of this dress, on you specifically!

Anonymous said...

http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images1/1/1207/08/1_f767feffeb54d332a3221b83f32d2d62.jpg

Anonymous said...

that's not spam btw, check out that link. OMG. also, it made me do a word verification to post that comment and the word was "WOWNIPS" no joke!

EJB said...

WOWNIPS would make a pretty good tag.

Erica! said...

If this is some ploy to get me to make you dessert, it's not working.

Post a Comment