Friday, August 26, 2011

Ah, you know what it is...

(black&yellowblack&yellowblack&yellowblack&yellow...)


This weekend the Steel City Derby Demons are hosting an art auction fundraiser called A Black Eye Affair featuring art made by both local artists and some of the Derby Demons! Not to let my crafty skills go to waste, I made a contribution myself:


I made a quilt in this tahn's favorite colors! I have been dabbling in quilting a little bit lately - this is technically the second quilt I've ever made! It's just a basic strip quilt (which is already becoming my favorite basic I-want-to-make-a-quilt-in-a-short-amount-of-time quilt pattern). My mother was quite instrumental in acquiring all of the supplies for me - there was a Joann's going out of business near her so she went and reaped all the benefits of the sales. Fortunately, my mother is a native Pittsburgher, so she knew what I meant when I said that I needed gold fabric, not just yellow.
For the backing, I just decided to go with black, but I quilted the whole thing in gold thread so there's some interesting contrast on the back. I embroidered a little name patch - using a supposedly washable transfer pen that was, in fact, not washable (grrr!) - that I think came out well. Lots of tiny details = lots of tiny stitches. The whole quilt is roughly 42" by 55" - it's the perfect size for sitting on trackside at the next bout or perhaps huddling under during a December game of that football team everyone here seems to like so much.

So, if you're a local reading this and you're looking for something to do on Saturday, come on out to the Black Eye Affair! Good food, drinks, arts, derby folk - and you can feel awesome knowing that your contribution goes to helping out a group of amazing female athletes and the rest of the crew of the Steel City Derby Demons!

0 comments:

Post a Comment