Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thrift score, vol. IV


When I first started dating Eric, he and his brother lived together and the two of them over time amassed quite a black velvet painting collection. Now Evan has some of them still (those that have not been otherwise scattered to the winds), but our house is distinctly lacking. I found this awesome Charlie Brown one yesterday, but it has already been claimed for the Halls of Kegasus. 


Some kitchen things: cute canisters and this cat mug that I kind of couldn't resist even though we already have way too many mugs...


I think my favorite thing that I found is this little bear! He has a weighted string that hangs from the bottom and when it moves, his little arms move and he plays the piano! I made my first ever animated GIF just to show you how totally awesome it is. I have plans to paint him in the not-too-distant future so stay tuned for that!


And books books books. Eric picked most of these, hence all the sci-fi and fantasy, but he also found a book about Belle and Sebastian and some classic internet meme action - remember Real Ultimate Power?

Also, is it weird that there are now things about the internet that have evolved into like nostalgic "Ohhhh, I remember that" things? You know, like Homestar Runner (do you have any idea how much my friends and I watched this my freshman year of college?) or having a Geocities page (which I totally did, in high school, now sadly lost to the ages). I find the relationship of my generation to the internet to be really interesting, because I have literally grown up along with the development of computers and the internet, from using clunky Macs to learn Stickybear Typing and playing Oregon Trail and Odell Lake on even clunkier Commodore 64s in elementary school, to suffering through slow dial-up on AOL in junior high (think about it - there are kids now who probably have no idea what a modem sounds like), to obsessive AIMing in high school, and message boards and silly memes and cat videos in college and beyond. I don't know, I guess I just think it's really interesting watching the internet evolve. Or at least it will be until it gains sentience and destroys all of humanity.

Back into analog issues, we have a serious need for a new bookshelf around here. Ours are all filled and now books are getting stored in stacks around the house:


Quick, to Craigslist!

(PS - I have some new embroidered things that I'll be showing off soon! Yay!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment