Sunday, August 14, 2011

More clothes for tiny people

So this week I've been working on a couple things to help some little ones out there in the world look a tad more fashionable.

First up is a onesie commissioned by my sister Leslie for a friend of hers. Leslie refers to this baby as "lil' nugget" and so, taking a spin off the design I drew for Eric's meat onesie, I came up with this:


Granted, my chicken nugget kind of looks like a blob, but then... so do chicken nuggets. At least he's pretty happy about it.

Next up is a dress I made for a slightly older friendbaby of mine...

 

Sophia is the daughter of my very dear college friends Sean and Sarah. Sean is 6'4" and so Sophia is apparently quite in the top percentile of tallness for kids her age (I say apparently because I sadly haven't gotten to see her since her first birthday, and she's now two and a half - sounds like I need to visit soon!). I started stitching this shirt, and when it was finished I was worried that perhaps it would be too short or that she would grow out of it super fast (as I hear children are prone to doing), so I decided to add a skirt to help extend the life of the shirt a little bit. The skirt is just sort of a basic A-line that I made out of some red jersey knit I had lying around which I then serged together. Very simple and easy to wear, versatile because you could wear it now and then throw a cardigan over it as it gets cooler. This was my first time trying something like this, and I think it came out pretty well.

Right now Pittsburgh is refreshingly cool, temperature-wise - maybe it's because of all the fake snow they've got downtown for the filming of the new Batman movie! You'll be driving along and la de da, it's August, you know, whatever, and the next block down - HOLY COW, it looks like January and there are Bane's gang of weird camoflauged Batmobile-esque cars and it turns out I live in Gotham City. How cool is that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment