Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thrift score III (now with 80% more vintage space action)

So yesterday we stopped by a thrift store near the brewing supplies store. I'd never been to this one before, but the signs were promising:


I love miscellany! Who doesn't? And this place certainly didn't disappoint. While browsing the books, I almost picked up this handy instruction book:


But then I realized I just don't have the dedication to get the kind of abs that LL is rockin' here. Oh, curse my laziness! But I did get the following:


Some little pins! Some kind of duck/pheasant hybrid and a tiny cat angel, which certainly isn't helping my "I'm not a cat lady" argument, but, come on, look at that thing.

 

Two little vintage critters that I thought would go well amongst the wall of other animal pictures that has developed in our bedroom. The squirrel has seen better days, it seems - some of his stitches have come out - but they're pretty cute nonetheless.


And some books, of course. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and Magical Thinking: True Stories by Augusten Borroughs. And then, probably my favorite - A Book of Astronauts For You by Franklin M. Branley - which has pretty amazing illustrations. Some of my favorites:

Countdown!
An incredibly accurate spacesuit.
Not just anyone can be an astronaut.
An astronaut in a pressure chamber. Apparently those lamps are exuding pressure.
Ah yes, the Hall of Science, my old alma mater.
DOING IMPORTANT SCIENCE THINGS.

"If the astronaut is not strong, the strain of take-off could kill him."

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
So there, now you are equipped with all the knowledge of space of a ten year old from 1963.

0 comments:

Post a Comment