Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease!

I just applied for Handmade Arcade for the second year in a row. I didn't get in last year, sadly, but we'll see how it goes this year. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, that wasn't the point of this post. In searching my other Flickr account (which I can't seem to actually log into anymore...), I found some pictures of a neat little project I made a few months back that I thought I would put back in the spotlight for a moment! I participated in my first Craftster swap - the theme was embroidery diptychs - and my partner listed among her interests Star Wars and Dia de los Muertos. My mind immediately went to the art of Jose Pulido. So I stitched up these beloved droids...


Probably one of the trickiest parts of the whole project was finding an oval hoop - I looked everywhere and couldn't find a vertical one, so I eventually had to settle for having the hoop sideways, because I really wanted to maintain the size differences relative to the droids. 


(I have to apologize for the photo quality - this was right as my previous camera was giving its last death rattles of non-focusing and weird lighting. Sadly, they were the only photos I got before I mailed them off to my swap partner)


Normally, I only ever use back stitch (what can I say? I'm a simple gal), but these pieces feature a whopping FOUR stitches - back stitch, satin stitch, french knots (which I can now officially say that I hate), and lazy daisy. This is the kind of dedication and involvement I have in creations for other people. I changed the coloring from Pulido's design to be reminiscent of the sugar skulls commonly associated with Dia de los Muertos. 

Soon I will have some pictures of recent embroideries - and I mean it this time!

2 comments:

Cait Riordan said...

LOVE these. Combination of Star Wars/Sugar Skulls?! I'm in love. Seriously!

Shanna said...

these are too cool! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Id love for you to swing by and visit me @ mommiesandbeyond dot com!

Post a Comment