Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2K12: The Nyan Cat Edition

I hope everyone had an enjoyable New Year's celebration! I had to work at eight in the morning, so my night was pretty low-key, although I am excited to go to a New Year's party tonight at Jay and Carly's. Why tonight? Well, pretty much everyone in our friendgroup works service industry or healthcare jobs where holidays are only sort of real. I'm planning on making a vegan chocolate silk pie, yummmms.

Anyway, I wanted to use this festive day to show off this awesome gift that Eric got me for Christmas. Several months ago, my friend Heather made her cat a Nyan Cat costume, and of course, I promptly exploded. Eric secretly commissioned a second costume for the Artful Dodger as a present to me.


It's pretty much the most amazing thing ever. Dodger does not quite appreciate the amazingness of it, unfortunately.


She is surprisingly tolerant of it, however, and when she walks in it she creeps around the house with this weird belly-dragging walk.


The sequins are hand-sewn on, the poptarts are stuffed for a little bit of depth, and the whole thing is held on with velcro straps around the chest and the belly. It's an incredible thing, and I am very thankful to have such creative friends as Heather and people who appreciate my humor like Eric.

In case you're not familiar with Nyan Cat, it is this:


Yes really, it's just that, and it goes on forever. The first time I saw this video, I laughed for probably a good fifteen minutes straight. Also, thankfully because we live inside the Internet, there have been many many many many spin-offs of this that you can enjoy.

For instance, there are many international ones, like this Russian Nyan Cat:


Or this live action one (this one you need to watch through the end):


And then there's some talented people making music:



And then I found some girl doing a dance:



And I thought, "well, that's kind of a boring dance and not terribly impressive." In the related videos off to the side, I spy more Nyan Cat dance videos and think, "well, maybe one of these will be more interesting." So I click:




Wait, so it's the same dance? Is this A Thing? I click another:



Wait, the SAME DANCE! This is A THING. That people do, and then make videos of for the Internet. This is seriously blowing my mind.

But finally, I leave you with this last video, which is a spacey remix of the song that is actually pretty good, and also features a kitty in a cupcake rocket ship. Happy New Year.

1 comments:

pocketnovella said...

you did some amazing research. dulcimer and piano blew my mind.

also, i'm kind of into the last version, as in, i kind of want to put it on my ipod.

Post a Comment