Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Now playing: 01.17.2012

Eating:




Yesterday, I made a creamy white bean soup. I originally started with this recipe in mind, because Eric is was out of town this weekend and, while most of the food I post on here is vegetarian or vegan because Eric is vegetarian, I'm not actually a vegetarian and still eat meat on occasion. But then I felt weird about adding the bacon because processed meats are really bad for you, and then I looked at the turkey bacon but when I saw the first ingredient was "mechanically separated turkey," I just decided to nix the whole bacon thing. And then I just kept it vegetarian, so I used vegetable broth. And then I couldn't find fresh thyme, but I could get rosemary. So really I took the original idea and changed it to a quite different but still tasty soup.


Reading: 




I finally finished George R. R. Martin's A Clash of Kings and needed a bit of a break (is it me, or did I just read an incredibly long book that has nothing really happening?), so I've been switching on and off between a collection of short stories and comics. The short stories book is St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell. I picked this book up at the thrift store recently, and I must be honest, I judged it entirely on its cover. I love the image of the little girl dancing on the wolf. I've only read the first story so far, and it's interesting. Underneath is The Best American Comics collection of 2007, edited by Chris Ware, which was a gift from my sister for Christmas. It's okay - I generally find these collections to be pretty hit or miss. I feel like there are a couple pieces that really stand out - for instance in this one, there's an excerpt from Fun Home by Alison Bechdel that I particularly like - and then there's a bunch of things that are just sort of misses - too weird, generally.


Listening:



I've been really into this little song that closes Saintseneca's newest album, Last. Saintseneca is a band from Columbus that I really really enjoy - I first saw them a few years ago when I went to a Ghost Mice show with my roommate - I don't really care for Ghost Mice, but Saintseneca blew me away. A couple of times since then I've had the honor of playing a few shows with them, and they're all terribly nice. But yeah, I super like this song - I've got a thing for big swelling harmonies, what can I say.

What are you reading/eating/listening to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment