Monday, January 9, 2012

Father/Son Nerdery

So, here are the gifts I made for my brother-in-law, Evan, and his son Keyran. Evan, like Eric, is a lifelong Star Wars fan and is, of course, trying to raise his son in similar fashion. So for Evan I made this:


(That light patch on the bottom of the shirt is just a weird sunbeam, by the way, not actually on the shirt.)

I made up the design on Gimp and then used the Freezer paper method to make a stencil. This was one of those projects where, once I ripped up the stencils, I couldn't help but be pretty pleased with the results. It's got a slight tilt, but actually I really like it like that. It almost didn't make it to Evan because Eric wanted to keep it.


For Keyran, I ended up being a little lazy (It would have been soooo many letters to cut...) and went with iron on letters:


... and paid for my laziness by accidentally ironing one backwards. However, the recipient is four, so he didn't really mind. However, it was pretty amusing to watch the disappointment of a four year old opening a shirt, expecting toys. By the time we arrived at Eric's parents' house for Christmas, he had long since opened most of his presents, and so kept trying to help everyone else open theirs only to be confused by their boring contents. "Erica, can I help you open your present? Open it! What is it?? Dishes? Oh."

Don't worry though, I also got him some toy food for this super sweet pretend kitchen he got, so it wasn't all a wash.

0 comments:

Post a Comment